Saturday, March 17, 2012

Avocado, sausage, and cheddar scramble

My latest favorite breakfast evolved from disappointment.  I love avocados and was so excited to see a bacon avocado omelet on the menu at a recent lunch.  The omelet was humongous and had a few thin slices of avocado on top.

And that was it.  I mean, it was huge, something like 6 eggs, crammed full of cheese, had a little bit of bacon, but no frickin' avocado other than the microscopic garnish.  I had been robbed.

Such is life.  Sometimes if you want a thing done right, you have to do it yourself.  So I bought an avocado and made my own omelet.   But I couldn't leave it alone.  Suddenly the bacon got replaced by sausage, and the omelet turned into scrambled eggs.  I can't explain why other than it just tastes better that way.

Ingredients
(Yield: 1 omelet)
  • ⅓ avocado, diced
  • ½ link chicken sausage
  • 2 eggs
  • red pepper flakes
  • grated cheddar cheese, to taste
 Method
Start by slicing the sausage and browning the pieces in a skillet.  I'm currently obsessed with chicken sausage, so that's what I used.  If you're using regular sausage, I'd suggest blotting off the extra fat.

Now, let's slice into this little beauty and talk about what we're going to do with the ⅔ avocado that's not being used in the recipe.  As you may know, avocados don't have a long shelf life.  The secret to storing them is to leave the pit in the remaining portion.  Wrap it in plastic and put it in the fridge, where it will keep for 3-4 days.  Actually that's a lie.  I've never let it go any longer, so I can't say how long it lasts.  At least this method gives you a fighting chance of being able to finish the avocado.  The outermost layer will get brown, but it's easily sliced off.

Dice up the avocado.

Assemble the scrambling station by dicing up the browned sausage and beating the eggs.

Spray the skillet with cooking spray and heat to sizzling.  Pour in the eggs.

Immediately move the skillet off the burner (OK, you folks with gas stoves can just turn off the burner, but us electric folks have a harder life) and keep scrambling.

Add in the sausage, avocado, and red pepper flakes.  Keep scrambling until you reach the critical point between runny and dry.

Now we need a little cheese - enough so that there's cheddar in every bite, but not too much that it overwhelms the avocado.  This is where a micro planer really comes in handy.

 And with that, another successful breakfast is complete!

No comments:

Post a Comment